Monday, September 27, 2010

Final Entry.

This will be the final entry in "Justin Duff's World Championship Blog". Upon undertaking this project I was not sure what to expect. Originally it was just going to be a few posts on the Wesmen website, but I like to think that it's grown into so much more, or at least... it HAS for me. It's been an absolute joy to be able to share my experiences with the astonishing amount of viewers [Over 1400 since I started]. I mean... I ended up writing a 1500 word essay after our match against Serbia. This was fun.  Perhaps I will start up something similar once I begin my pro career... about that; The team is splitting up right now, some are going back to Ottawa, others to their respective professional teams, and others "one then the other". My plans are to attend the Full Time Training Center in Gatineau starting October 18th, and running to sometime in December, then I will find a contract overseas. 

It's great that we have a full time center for our Canadian athletes. There is such a gap to bridge between what makes our players successful at the National level to what will make us successful at the International level. Regardless of the success I have had here at the World Championships, I have been constantly reminded of the basic technical aspects that differentiate the good players from the great. This is my passion, this is my craft, and at 22 it's about time to start perfecting it.

In case you hadn't deduced, we lost tonight against Germany 3-0. This has eliminated us from moving onto the next round of World Championships. It was a great tournament to be a part of, I never had the opportunity to play in front of so many people who were so passionate about volleyball. That's what I live for, "waves and waves of electric current, flooding over me". 

I've never been good at endings... my conclusions were always the weakest part of my essays in University <-- this I offer as evidence for the first part of the statement. Goodbyes are even worse, because when you really care about something you want to hold onto it, no matter how excruciatingly painful it gets. So thank you for time, continue to support your national sports organizations [especially volleyball canada ;)], and I wish you ALL THE BEST.

-j.duff


1 comment: