Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sights & Sounds

Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls, I bring to you the next evolution in "Justin Duff's World Championship Blog": Video.
Yes you heard correctly, I've taken a leap into the next step of transmitting my experiences to you.
**Note: due to technical difficulties w/ video upload, clips will be released 1 by 1. I thank you for your patience.**

"How did he do it!?": Team Canada has a roster of 14 players on this trip, FIVB regulations allow this, but restrict the roster to 12 during match times. Therefore two players are scratched each, today I was one of those. Of course it's disappointing, because I'd love to be out there, but at least I got to experience the game from a different angle... the spectat.... fanatic!

Minute before the team took to the court to begin warm up, Josh Howatson [National team setter] offered me the opportunity to wield his HD video recorder so that I may add some V-log to my B-log. Now... it's a bit rough around the edges. I fancy myself fairly competent at photographic work, but videography is a whole new dimension for me to master. It's sloppy, I pan the screen too quickly to get clear shots, and my commentary is hardly as witty as I like to think my writing is, but it's an interesting twist, and I hope you enjoy.

It was a ridiculous atmosphere, I had never seen so many people watching a volleyball match. The Polish faithful filled the air with chants and horns, and the seats with their bottoms. The Canadian fans were few and far between, [actually... they all kind of sat in one of two areas] but hats go off to our proud Canadian fans bearing our colours deep within enemy territory. 
 
I should have recorded the Polish national anthem because, as I'm sure you'd believe, the place was going wild.



The first two sets were darn good volleyball. Up until 20 points that is. Actually, at one moment the first set was 22-22, but a quick 3 points by the Polish ended that dream. But you've gotta play each segment of the game, point 0 --> point 1 --> ... --> MATCH, so we regrouped and began the 2nd set. We had something like an 8-3 lead, but a team as good as Poland is going to respond. Which is what they did... and past 20, they were in complete control, 25-21. This is where the wheels fell off, in my opinion we appeared deflated, and you can't GIVE teams ANYTHING at this level. They easily took the 3rd, there was no doubt at any point. We lost our opening match, which was important [because they're all important... it's world championships] but it's not a total loss. I want to leave you with 1 last video and a note:

I have to give a shout out to Fred Winters, who much like in the first Czech Republic exhibition, really came out to play. He was the best player on the court in my opinion, and fought until the bitter end.

We play Serbia tomorrow, and Germany the next day. We need a win, let's GET'ER done!
All the best ;)

-j.duff

No comments:

Post a Comment